Resolved – Go To Resolution
0x80071129 – the tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid
The error code: 0x80071129 ( The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid ) is due a known issue in Windows 10 devices(mostly in OneDrive).
- This error can be related with one or more of the below points
- Issue with copy/move in OneDrive file
- Unable to rename file in OneDrive or Windows 10
- Error in deleting OneDrive file or OneDrive file not deleting
Error code: 0x80071129 screenshot:
The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid
Please help us grow!
Cause of 0x80071129 Error
Some error in device partition or file system metadata causes this issue
This filesystem metadata error occurs if windows could not scan the HDD during boot. Most of the times users skip disk checking when prompted during startup and thus these issues appear.
To fix this 0x80071129 error, you need to tell windows to check the HDD partition and fix if there are any errors in the file system metadata.
Steps To Resolve
This error( 0x80071129 ) can be easily resolved by forcing your PC to scan for HDD metadata errors and fixing them. Follow the below steps to start scan and fix metadata related issues in HDD.
- Open command prompt (in admin mode).
- Run the command in the next line (if your OneDrive is syncing to other drive, then please change the letter accordingly).
chkdsk c: /f /r
This command checks the file system and file system metadata of a volume for logical and physical errors. If used without parameters, chkdsk displays only the status of the volume and does not fix any errors. If used with the /f, /r, /x, or /b parameters, it fixes errors on the volume. For more information on this please check: Microsoft documentation
- Restart your device and do not press any key while the device is restarting. However, the device will take some time to restart as it will scan the drive for errors.
- At the end, once the device is restarted, verify if rename/copy/delete is working.
If the issue is resolved but the file is not syncing, then please follow these steps.
- Firstly, please copy the file from OneDrive and try to paste in a different location (not connected to OneDrive).
- If you are able to copy successfully, then verify the contents of the copied file and delete the corrupted file from OneDrive.
- Please wait for some time for the sync to complete.
- Once removed, put the copied file back to OneDrive and start using it.
If the error 0x80071129 ( The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid ) still not resolved, please contact your company IT or Microsoft support for further help.
We have more detailed instruction for all of the OneDrive sync related issues, check this link to find out.
Are you trying to learn better and meaningful content writing? Please check this post to become better in writing.
Please Help us Grow!
I hope you have found this article helpful. If you are happy with the document, please use the below links when you buy something from Amazon to help us grow.
How to help?
Amazon affiliate program gives a small (%)share of price to the referrers, so feel free to buy anything.
Below are some Amazon affiliate links, if you open amazon application/website using these links and buy something, (it can be one of the below items or anything of your choice) Then Amazon will give us a little percentage(%) of the money you spend on Amazon. To know more check this document.
Laptops & Accessories
For the Gamer in you
Reading is a Very Good Habit!
Stay Fit, Stay Healthy
More Ways to Help
For your Contribution
Thank you for reading, I hope you found this guide to resolve error code 0x80071129 ( The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid ) helpful. If so, do not forget to check our other pages for resolving other O365 issues.
Ramiz is a professional working in an MNC as a business and technology consultant for quite a few years now. Ramiz is proficient in various Microsoft tools and technologies. He is a tech enthusiast and an active blogger. Ramiz spends his free time playing games or watching movies. He writes blogs to share his knowledge with the world and to make it a better place to live.